Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gold Diggers

The 1933 film Gold Diggers was probably my least favorite of all of the films we've watched in class thus far. I'm not a fan of musicals to begin with, so I thought the "musical" aspect of the film was too cheezy. The placement of the songs seemed random to me; the beginning starting out with song and dance, then the entire middle chunk of the film was just acting/the story, then ended with a musical number to finish the film.
I found myself not knowing who exactly the story was supposed to be focusing on. I felt the story jumped around too much and I would have liked to see a major focus on one of the "couples" in the film.
What I did like about the film, though, were the humerous moments. For example, the scene in which the women convince the two men to buy hat's for them I found to be pretty entertaining.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked some parts of it, Saundra. If it's any consolation, this is the only musical we'll be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you when it comes to your discomfort with musicals. haha

    I also feel like it didn't so much as add to the film to give it depth, but sort of took away from the film when they could've gave more character establishment.

    Definitely though, i got lost in the "couples" aspect in the film. Again, I feel like that element took away from the film as well.

    Hahaha..hats.

    ReplyDelete